I love aging!

I realized the other day that I am pushing the 40 year old mark. and yet, I am healthier and happier than I have been in ages. my body is stronger and I feel amazing! I attribute that to bootcamp and my change in my diet. I love sharing with people that I am 36 and have given birth to 6 LARGE babies. Yet, it is not an excuse to sit and let my body atrophy or care less about what I buy in the stores to feed my kids. Truthfully, it's a reason to care even more.

Yesterday was the 4th of July. Phazes had a booth at the St. George festivities at Vernon Werthon Park. We had a blast inviting people to come take our fitness challenge and receive a free trial day with us.

I loved the variety of people I observed. One gentleman that took our test was in his 70's - dealing out pushups and squats and such. He also decided to add his name into the pile of those interested in a free month of Bootcamp. I was impressed at his strength and stamina. His wife made the comment to me "he works out every day, He's so strong." her eyes were beaming with admiration at the love of her life.

It made me reflect on the life of Jack Lelanne - the fitness guru of all fitness guru's. Jack is considered America's Godfather of fitness.
He is an expert and example for fitness and aging.

I thought I would post a few things he said as well as some of his accomplishments:

At the age of 94, Jack LaLanne continues to work out every morning for two hours, spending 1 ½ hours in the weight room and ½ hour swimming or walking.

When interviewed by Katie Couric on NBC's Today show, LaLanne declared that his two simple rules of nutrition are "if man made it, don't eat it", and "if it tastes good, spit it out." He often says, "I cannot afford to die, it will ruin my image." Interviewed on his 93rd birthday, he said his feat of strength was going to be "towing my wife across the bathtub." In a June 2007 interview, he said that for his 95th birthday, he'd like to swim to Santa Catalina Island from the coast of California, a distance of approximately 20 miles (32 km).

"So many older people, they just sit around all day long and they don't get any exercise. Their muscles atrophy, and they lose their strength, their energy and vitality by inactivity."
Jack LaLanne

Jack LaLanne: Many people have arthritis and rheumatism; they get bum knees, a bum back. A lot of guys get a little pain in the toe or knee and then they won't exercise. Well gee, you have 640 muscles in your body. There may be a few exercises you can't do, but there are hundreds you can do! Too many people make excuses like I am too old, or I don't have the time, or it costs money. Then when they get sick they go to the doctor and want a shot in the backside to make them healthy. How do you build up your bank account? By putting something in it everyday.Your health account is no different. What I do today, I am wearing tomorrow. If I put inferior foods in my body today, I'm going to be inferior tomorrow, it's that simple. What does age mean? Not being able to do the things you used to do. If I can get you doing things you haven't done for ten or fifteen years, isn't that exciting?
I don't care how old I live; I just want to be LIVING while I am living! I have friends of mine that are in their 80's and now they are in wheelchairs or they're getting Alzheimer's. Who wants that? It's terrible. I want to be able to do things; I want to look good; I don't want to be a drudge on my wife and my kids. And I want to get my message out to the people. I might live forever or it may seem like that. I tell people I can't afford to die; it will wreck my image! I am proud to say I was just voted in to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. This year I get my star. (Jack was 91 years old when this was quoted)

Timeline: Jack LaLanne's feats

As reported on Jack LaLanne's website, and as documented contemporaneously when they happened: all of these are after he turned 40!

* 1954 (age 40): Jack swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, underwater, with 140 pounds of equipment, including two air tanks. A world record.
* 1955 (age 41): Jack swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while handcuffed. When interviewed afterwards he was quoted as saying that the worst thing about the ordeal was being handcuffed, which reduced his chance to Star Jump significantly.
* 1956 (age 42): Jack set a world record of 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes on You Asked For It, a television program with Art Baker.
* 1957 (age 43): Jack swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500-pound cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned this one-mile (1.6 km) swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles (10.5 km).
* 1958 (age 44): Jack maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile (48 km) trip took 9.5 hours.
* 1959 (age 45): Jack did 1,000 star jumps and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes and The Jack LaLanne Show went nationwide.
* 1974 (age 60): For the second time, Jack swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000-pound boat.
* 1975 (age 61): Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, Jack again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000-pound boat.
* 1976 (age 62): To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, Jack swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.
* 1979 (age 65): Jack towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.[15]
* 1980 (age 66): Jack towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile (1.6 km) in less than one hour.
* 1984 (age 70): Once again handcuffed and shackled, Jack fought strong winds and currents as he swam 1.5 miles (2.4 km) while towing 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary.


Jack - you're an inspiration! when I talk to a lot of older people they often say, they have given up on the idea of getting their shape back. But it is possible. you just need a reason. for me, the reason is partly vanity - true. I would be lying if I didn't admit I like how I look when my abs are tight and my arms have some muscle.
But the real reason that is deeper than that is that I love feeling great! I love being able to do things that invigorate the mind and body! I want to climb mountains, swim, play hard and love life.

being fit means you have the ability to live life to it's fullest without worrying about a heart attack. I want to play soccer with my kids. I want to continue to play basketball without passing out. and I want to run with my dogs. this is life!

Have you ever ran in the red hills and jumped from rock to rock as the sun was rising or setting? It's a joyful experience. I want to do that until the day I die. and because I AM doing that and HAVE changed the way I eat - that tummy I had last year is GONE!!!!

I have rock hard abs where a flabby overly tired and overworked from child birth tummy used to be. (I still have stretch marks though, got to let go of a little bit of that vanity I guess and be pleased with kids that gave me those marks)

So here's to aging the right way, here's to health, here's to really living!
I hope you enjoy life and play hard just like Jack.

Let us help you play hard too.

Comments